Have you ever wondered what all those bottles of shampoo and conditioner are doing to the environment? Most of us wash our hair regularly, and that means we’re generating a lot of plastic waste from shampoo bottles.
- 1 The Growing Problem with Shampoo Bottles
- 2 What is a Shampoo Bar?
- 3 Top 5 Reasons to Try a Shampoo Bar
- 4 How to Use Shampoo Bars
- 5 How to Store Shampoo Bars
- 6 Our Picks for Best Shampoo Bar
- 7 You might also like…
The Growing Problem with Shampoo Bottles
Despite our best efforts to recycle, most of the time those bottles are just going to end up in a landfill. Only 8.4% of the plastic we throw into the recycling bin actually gets recycled. The reason for this is that plastic comes in a variety of types (those little numbers on the bottle) and most recyclers are only able to process a select few. Add to that the recent banning of exporting of our plastic waste to countries like China, who used to do most of this processing for the United States, and the result is that we are sitting on an ever growing mountain of plastic waste. Not to mention that most plastic bottles used for shampoo use virgin sources of plastic which are derived from fossil fuels – definitely not the best move as we try to stop the damage caused by global warming.
If you’re looking for a more sustainable option, shampoo bars might be for you!
What is a Shampoo Bar?
Shampoo bars are a solid, concentrated form of soap that is made with natural ingredients and is gentle on both your hair and the planet.
Top 5 Reasons to Try a Shampoo Bar
- Shampoo bars are a more sustainable option than traditional liquid shampoos as we’ve already discussed but wait, there’s more…
- Shampoo bars are more concentrated than liquid shampoos, so you can get more uses out of them. A typical shampoo bar is equivalent to 2-3 bottles of shampoo.
- Shampoo bars are less likely to cause scalp irritation than liquid shampoos. This is because they tend to use basic, natural ingredients.
- Shampoo bars are great for travel because they don’t require any special packaging. Be sure to pick up a travel case!
- Shampoo bars are a fun and unique way to switch up your hair care routine!
How to Use Shampoo Bars
Simply wet your hair, rub the shampoo bar directly onto your scalp, and lather as you would with any other shampoo. When you’re finished, rinse your hair thoroughly until all the soap is gone. Be sure to condition your hair after using the shampoo bar, as you would with any other shampoo. That’s it!
How to Store Shampoo Bars
If shampoo bars are not stored correctly, they will dry out and become unusable. The best way to store a shampoo bar is in a soap dish. This will keep the bar dry and protect it from accidental dropping. If you are travelling or going camping, you can wrap the bar in a towel or cloth to keep it dry. You can also store shampoo bars in a zip-lock baggie or container. Be sure to label the container so you don’t accidentally use it for something else later! By following these simple tips, you can ensure that your shampoo bar will last for many uses.
Our Picks for Best Shampoo Bar
HiBar Solid Shampoo
- Aavailable for curly, thin, dry hair and more
- Vitamin B5 for body and definition
- Sulfate, paraben, phthalate, & silicone free
- One bar lasts as long as a 16ox bottle
- Easy to hold shape
- Safe for color treated hair
Garnier Whole Blends Shampoo Bar
- Packaged in 100% recyclable cardboard
- Perfect for dry, damaged hair
- For Dry, Damaged Hair- 93% less
- Fast-rinse formula
- Certified Cruelty Free by Leaping Bunny
B.O.B Shampoo Bar
- 100% Vegan
- Purifying formula perfect for oily scalp
- Cleanses with palm kernal oil & green clay
- Equivalent to 14oz bottled shampoo
- Cool modern shape
- Plastic-free packaging
VIORI Shampoo Bar
- Gorgeously scented with essential oils – musky, sweet vanilla and amber
- Absolutely beautiful shape
- 5% of profits donated to China’s Red Yao tribe where ingredients are sourced
- Ideal for dry to normal hair
- Quality natural ingredients: longsheng rice, cocoa butter, shea butter, rice bran oil & hydrolyzed rice protein
- Paraben, phthalate, prop 65 chemical free
Ethique Shampoo Bar
- 100% Vegan
- Uplifting scent – orange, cinnamon & ginger
- Can be used for beards
- Natural ingredients: fair-trade cocoa butter & coconut oil
- pH balanced
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Palm oil free
- Packaged in compostable boxes
- 1 bar = 3 bottles of shampoo (80 uses)
- Paraben, pthalate, wax, and silicone free
J.R. Liggett’s Old Fashioned Bar Shampoo
- Gentle, safe for people with allergies or sensitivities
- 1 bar = 24oz of liquid shampoo
- Fresh clean scent
- Natural ingredients: olive, coconut, and castor oil
- May be sufficient without conditioner for some hair types
- Safe for permed and color-treated hair
- Handmade in the USA
Bamboo Earth Shampoo Bar with Conditioning Effect
- 100% organic and cold-pressed
- Compact size perfect for travel
- Pack of 4 so you can try every scent – Lavender, Honey, Seaweed and Chamomile!
- Natural Ingredients – shea butter, cocoa butter, oilve oil
- Each pack = 2-3 bottles of shampoo
- Plastic-free, zero-waste packaging
The Earthling Co. Shampoo Bar
- Suits all ages, even children 3+
- 1 bar = 50-75 washes (2-6 months)
- Zero-waste packaging
- SLS, SLES, preservatives, parabens, silicone free
- Safe for color treated and bleached hair
- Manufactured in the USA
If you’re looking for a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly way to wash your hair, consider switching to shampoo bars! The earth and your hair will thank you.
You might also like…
- All About Clarifying Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair
- How to Cowash Natural Hair (and Which Products to Use)
- Follow us on Pinterest!